Tuesday 25 March 2014

Race: Wicklow Way Ultra (31 miles)

After a winter that seemed to last an eternity, it was good to have a race before the Highland Fling to see if the training had paid off. I focused a lot more this winter on speedwork and descending, the latter being a big weakness from last year.

I knew going into this race that it was going to be tough because it was going to be fast - given the fact I would actually be racing, as opposed to just running. Going into the race blind was probably not ideal, but I had an idea of the elevation on the out and back course and strangely looked forward to all the climbing, maybe not the descending - and didn't know what to expect with the boardwalk I kept hearing about!

32.7 Miles/5970ft

Early starts for a race are somewhat exciting, although 5am may have been pushing it slightly - although Christian and I were greeted with a sweet sunrise on the drive down, and we certainly must have appeared keen being first into the car park at 7.30. It was good though to be able to potter about and get everything ready, and watch familiar faces arrive, from B.A.R.F. and some of the other northern clubs. The hour and a half between arriving and the race starting brought all manner of weather, hail, snow, rain and sun, but thankfully this had cleared and it was nice and sunny as we toe'd the startline with the 100 or so other runners. I had the ominous feeling the whole journey that I had forgotten my lenses, which I actually had, so I would have to wear my glasses for the race, which when dry is grand but when one begins to sweat, or it's pissin' rain it does get quite annoying - thus began 30 miles of pushing slippery, steamed glasses back up my nose! 

Photo: Ju Ju Jay M.S.R.
My early plan was just to go with the lead runners, and see where that got me. That turned out to be with Justin Maxwell, the eventual winner (and winner of Causeway Coast) and, unbeknownst to me at the time, Paul Tierney. As the elevation profile above shows, the climbing started early and even though we went through the first 2 miles under 7 min/mile pace I felt very comfortable. The first descent was surprisingly technical so I kept dropping back but maintained a decent gap all the way to the first aid station at Crone (Mile 8) where I didn't stop as the plan was to use that drop bag on the return leg. This would have allowed me the opportunity to pull ahead slightly but I was happy enough to sit in behind the 2 other (vastly more experienced) runners and go on their pace. Straight through the aid station we began climbing again, gaining roughly 1700ft over 5 miles. Again, I felt extremely comfortable climbing leading Paul towards the high point before the boardwalk began. For nearly a mile and a half I hung on for dear life as it was fully exposed to the elements, leaning into the wind, struggling to see through watery eyes and trying not to disappear into the bog off the 3ft wide planks. Luckily I made it through unscathed - trying desperately to squeeze through the early starters without causing too much interference - before hitting another fire road section for another mile and a half down to the turnaround point at Ballinastoe (Mile 16). Usual dismay trying to find my drop bag, really need to relax at aid stations! Switched bottles for the handheld, grabbed some food and started the return leg maybe a minute behind Justin, and 30 seconds or so behind Paul. I felt absolutely fantastic covering the first 16 miles in 2h5m, however stopping even for 40 seconds left my legs feeling super heavy on the climb back up to the boardwalk. By the time we hit this section again, Justin was out of sight, and Paul was just about visible - in reality, they were well within sight, however I dared not look up from the boardwalk, again trying to avoid colliding with all the other runner who were now making their way along - many carrying bumps and blood from falls. What I missed was some cracking scenery looking over to Lough Tay and Luggala, however Mick Hanney captured some great photos:

Photo: Mick Hanney
I kept it nice and steady back towards Powerscourt waterfall and on a sharp descent I seemed to just switch off and miss the signpost telling me to turn right, and I kept on climbing on the path up to Maulin. I knew something was wrong when it got quite boggy and looked unfamiliar, so I headed back down, and took the next left which turned out to still be the wrong path ahhh! Needed to drop back down even further to rejoin the Way, adding an extra mile or so and 12 minutes while also losing 2 spots and dropping back down to 5th. I was so annoyed at myself but figured there was no point fretting, and see if I could make up some time on the 3 mile descent back down to Crone (Mile 25). I quickly regained 4th place with a sub-7 mile but I couldn't quite reel in Dale Mathers ahead in 3rd. By this stage it was quite warm and much like Causeway Coast I was finding it difficult to eat anything solid, instead eating Clif chews but even they were beginning to taste horrendous and feeling as if they weren't having any effect. It was great to get some water at the aid station, along with a few gels which helped perk me up a little along the river before beginning the climb back up. Again I seemed to switch off a few times, almost missing a few turns either through not paying attention, not being able to see through my glasses, or not having my glasses on at all! By this stage the rain has started, as had the hamstring cramps...definitely need to incorporate some more salt into my racing diet.

Photo: Greg Byrne
I managed to make my way into 3rd on the climb, even though I was definitely suffering, having highs and lows of energy (as the photo above proves!) and hold that position on the descent back down onto the road section. Having been passed in the last mile of the Causeway Coast, I was very wary of being pipped to the podium again so I was relieved more than anything to cross the line for 3rd in 4h40m. While I had hoped to achieve a quicker time/pace, given the slight detour and tricky conditions, making the target of a podium was great. Congratulations to Justin Maxwell on the win, another well executed performance, might get closer to him as the year goes on!

Top 3 Male:
1. Justin Maxwell - 4h12m
2. Paul Tierney - 4h18m
3. Me :) - 4h40m

Top 3 Female:
1. Donna McLaughlin
2. Taryn McCoy
3. Denise Mathers

A great IMRA-organised event, which was very well run with extremely enthusiastic marshals - always makes a huge difference! And it was nice to receive a mug at the finish!

4 weeks to the Highland Fling where I'll be aiming to take a good chunk of time off last year's result, still some work to be done!

1 comment:

  1. Great work. Just need to get the food sorted (and remember your eyes!)

    ReplyDelete